Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

"14 Years in a Moment"

     Nearly all of my adult life I have been an Indianapolis Colts fan. For me and for many, today was a day for wistful reflection. Five For Fighting's song "100 Yeas" seems very applicable. I kept thinking of it as I watched Peyton Manning's press conference covering his tearful departure from the Colts. "All good things..," they say.
    In 1984, the Colts came to Indianapolis. It was thrilling. The NFL had come to my town. I was 20 in that moment and brimming with optimism.The then Hoosier Dome resembled a big Jiffy Pop and the bright green astro turf glowed with the promise of a bright future--it's hard for me not to be cliche' about this. 
     It didn't take long for reality to rear its ugly head. The Colts struggled for what seemed like a long time. Three years later, in 1987 they actually made it to the playoffs, just as they did in 1995, 1996--the year they made it to the AFC Championship and one play away from the Super Bowl. I saw the best of times and the worst of times.
    The thing that I remember most about those early years were the games the Colts played in during their time in the AFC East Division. I remember watching games with the Dolphins and the Bills. It seemed like there were a number of games that the Colts could have won, but unfortunately Dan Marino or Jim Kelly would trot onto the field and crush my hopes of a victory.
    Then in 1998, we drafted one of those guys that trots onto a field and breaks the hearts of opposing teams and their fans. Not only does Peyton rank up there with Kelly and Marino, but he has  surpassed them. He will be in the Hall of Fame just like they are, but they won't have four MVP awards and a Super Bowl ring. That's how I will remember Peyton. He was like some Greek hero that could snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. I will think of the 2003 Monday Night game in Tampa Bay-a harbinger of things to come, the 2006 AFC Championship victory over the despised Patriots, and the decisive Super Bowl victory over the Bears.
    I feel that I owe Peyton and his teammates for that Super Bowl win. I waited 23 years for it. It was worth the wait. There aren't too many things in life that can make you feel that way. In fact, I can't think of a single thing in life outside of the birth of my children that comes close.That feeling actually helped me through the Colts Super Bowl loss to the Saints. I thought to myself, "Drew Brees has the heart of a lion and he played like...well, Peyton Manning."


No comments:

Post a Comment